Skip to main content

5 Signs & Solutions to Baby Dropping the Morning Nap! From 2 Naps to 1




Depending on who you ask and on your actual child, babies tend to drop their second nap, transitioning from 2 naps per day to 1 per day somewhere between 12-15 months of age.  I have 3 kids, and each of them were not ready for the transition at the exact same time frame, so I always advise that moms pay attention to THEIR child's behavior closely over something like a calendar or what one of their child's peers is doing.

Moms all know how important sleep is, especially baby's naps.  We're a crazy mess most days, and I've blogged before about how having an actual schedule can be nearly impossible for me, but I have my non-negotiable items for each day:  one thing I hold sacred for my boys is their nap time - seriously, I will not mess with it unless absolutely necessary or no other options are really available.

I am sharing 5 Signs to look for and pay attention to that can signal your little one is ready for the 2-to-1 nap transition.  You'll know when to start paying attention when your baby suddenly just starts refusing to sleep at their regular times or just wants to play.  You've just got to be certain that they are not refusing to sleep because of all those other baby issues - like teething, a cold, a new location, etc.

5 Signs to Look For when Baby is Ready to Drop their Second Nap:

  1. Baby starts fighting one of their 2 usual nap times 
  2. Baby is taking longer than normal to settle down and fall asleep
  3. Baby is waking up earlier OR later than usual in the morning
  4. Baby isn't tired at their regular bedtime in the evening
  5. Duration of one of baby's naps is unusually shorter than normal

Now, I'll be honest and admit that by the time my twins were 11 months old, their day time sleep patterns started to get a little wacky and out of routine.  And in desperation (and especially because dealing with 1 nap instead of 2 would help simplify my life dealing with twins plus one), I tried to get my twin babies to drop that second nap by pushing back their morning nap.  And, let's just say, it was an epic fail and a great reminder of who was in control here - the twins!  I reverted back to 2 naps during the day after 8 days of feeling like nap failures, and then suddenly a week after the boys turned 1 year old, they started really showing ALL of these 5 Signs I identified above.

Now, here is a list of the "solutions" I've experimented with to help me ease the boys into their 1 nap transition.  The solutions I have listed really come from my own trials with the boys, some of my pediatrician's tips, and grandma's too, of course!  This does not mean that these will all work for every other mom, but I'd say these are definitely some points to keep in mind as you figure out what works for your baby.

Solutions to Helping Baby Transition from 2 Naps to 1:
  1. Push your child's morning nap by 15 minutes each day to help wean them off of the morning nap until the second nap is gone
  2. Move bedtime up a little earlier (by about half an hour in the evenings)
  3. Put baby down for "quiet time" instead of nap time during their usual second nap time, so that they have some time to just lay or sit quietly in a darkened room or listening to some white noise or soft music
  4. Make sure baby is sleeping a total of 10-12 hours per day 
  5. Accept that some days as we help baby transition from 2 naps to 1 that we may still need 2 naps on some days, OR we may need to revert back to 2 naps for a while altogether because we aren't ready for the transition yet

Once you've got this adjustment made and figured out, I can tell you that the 1 nap per day will stick around for quite some time (until age 3 for my eldest son).  So, no more nap transitions for a while!

Here's what happens when mom messes with our naps!





Comments

  1. It seems like the transitions never end! My youngest is two and we're still not done with sleep changes, but I completely agree with your signs and ideas for helping drop that second nap. :) I have a few pictures of my kids sleeping in their high chairs too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! The sleep transitions seem to be never ending, I know. I never thought I'd have a kid sleeping in the high chair - LOL! That is pretty funny.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Perpeq”: An Albanian Egg Custard

"Perpeq" is one of my fondest childhood memories because it brings me back to Easter time, as my mom and grandmother mostly made it in our house during that time of year.  Guess it was because we had all those eggs in the fridge!  Actually, it's a dish that my family traditionally blessed as their breakfast food for Easter Sunday.  I appreciate this dish so much because it is exclusively part of my Albanian culture, and it reminds me constantly of the simple ingredients and creativity Albanian women have used historically, living in large families and persevering through many adversities.  I am not sure what to call this in English, but the closest thing I’ve had to “perpeq” is egg custard, though it is different.  “Perpeq” makes a great dessert OR breakfast item.  Thankfully, I am partnering with Farmland Fresh Dairies to share this recipe with everyone, using the best quality milk. It’s taken me years to put this recipe together because my mother and grandmoth

My Top 3 Double Umbrella Strollers Review: Pros & Cons

Just before the twins were born, I sold our Uppababy Cruz I had for my first son, and was so thankful Grandma and Grandpa offered to buy me the stroller of my "twins plus one" mom dreams - our Uppababy Vista, with two seats and a piggyback board that could actually accommodate all 3 boys to ride on! Our Evenflo Minno Twin double stroller for Grandma's house To me, the stroller is the top item every mom should splurge on because it really should last a long time and it's used constantly!  I felt like we were outgrowing our precious Uppababy Vista stroller after the boys turned a year old and my oldest was not really using the board to ride on as much anymore and the twins began kicking the seats and throwing things at each other depending on who got the higher seat- and with the summer weather approaching, I decided it was time to really invest in a good double umbrella stroller and go from the in-line to a tandem side-by-side stroller (a huge decision for a mo

Easter Bread "Nests" Recipe

With the holy season of Lent here, Easter is just about one month away!  And thankfully, Spring is officially here, too!  Every holiday, I always think about what traditions I want my family to have, to remember, and to hold onto.  Baking with my kids is something I enjoy thoroughly, as it brings us together in preparing and eating.  I decided to start a new Easter tradition for our family this year, and so I tested out Easter Bread "nests" with my Kindergartner after school - the bread came out so delicious, and we had so much fun together, that I am sure this Easter tradition is something we will continue every year.  One of my most prevalent challenges with my 6-year old son now is getting him to persist through a task that he says is "too hard for me."  He wanted to give up when he struggled to roll his dough and was frustrated making his first "braid" with the bread, but, together (with lots of praise, patience and gentleness) we managed to finish wh