Skip to main content

How I Introduced Cow's Milk to my Twins


The transition from infant to toddler is such a big leap, and one of the greatest events that really will change life is the switch from formula to cow's milk.  I did this once already with my first child, and guess I learned a lot just through trial and error.  We didn't have the best experience switching over to formula with David - poor little guy dealt with tons of constipation issues, but we eventually got there and things were ok.  I wanted to share about this experience because the topic of switching to cow's milk is one I often get asked about.

Back in the days of first-time-mom life, I used to live on my Babycenter Birth Club community and by the advice of my pediatrician and mother.  Nowadays, as a mom of twins plus one, I am much more open to listening to others, reflecting on my first experiences, and I guess I've developed somewhat of a mom tribe to lean on for advice.  When I transitioned my twins to whole milk, it was a whole different tactic for me, the key being "SLOW & STEADY" this time around! Below are a few simple things I did when switching Adam and Matthew over to whole cow's milk that I believe made the experience a more positive one for babies and mama!  (Sorry, David! - guess it's true what they say about parenting your first...)


1.  Wait to 13 months of age


I offered cow's milk to my first child way too soon, in retrospect - he had just turned 11 months old.  Trust your child's doctor when they explain that under 12 months, a child cannot completely digest cow's milk as easily as formula or breast milk because their kidneys are not yet fully developed to handle the high amounts of proteins and other minerals in cow milk.  For my twins, I waited until they were exactly 13 months old to begin to introduce milk to them, and much more slowly than with my first child.

2.  Mix in 1 ounce of cow's milk to formula every 3 days
Some people do the "cold turkey" method and just stop offering formula/breast milk and that works for their kids.  My twins refused to drink cow's milk when I offered it to them that way - can't really blame them as it tastes so different compared to the Enfamil formula they were so used to.  So we took it slow, and I added 1 ounce of cow's milk and 7 ounces of formula to their 8 ounce bottle during their usual feedings.  Every 3rd day, I would increase the amount of cow's milk by one more ounce and decrease the amount of formula by an ounce.  I still warmed up their bottles a bit as per usual and made sure to mix well.  By the end of the 13th month, we were fully on cow's milk and I could monitor their diaper business a bit more easily this way and if they had any allergic reaction to milk.  I used their regular bottles at this time making the switch, but my pediatrician has advised offering milk in a sippy cup instead of their bottle so that they don't overdrink milk....just saying...some day soon, I am sure we will be completely off the bottles, but I am not fighting that battle just yet.

3.  Don't forget to offer water
I didn't do this enough with my first child.  With the twins' experience of switching to cow's milk, I made sure to constantly offer them water throughout the day to help them with digestion.  Even sips will help.

4.  Add cow's milk to pureed foods
During the transition period (which lasted us about a month), I made an effort to add whole cow's milk to some of my kid's foods I know they always loved to eat, mostly to get them more familiar and fond of the taste of real milk as we slowly stopped using formula.  For example, I would add a bit of milk in to their oatmeal or cereal in the mornings, and I'd even add some milk into some of the veggies and fruits I was pureeing for them (mostly for consistency purposes and again, taste).

5.  Have a probiotic handy in case of constipation

If I noticed my twins were not pooping during our milk transition time as they normally would (which was once a day for us at that point) or that the consistency of it wasn't our usual, then I would offer them some probiotic drops in their milk.  (I was offering them organic yogurt, but that wasn't helping them to go much, so my mom friends suggested probiotic drops and once my pediatrician approved, I headed to the pharmacy to pick some up - I still have probiotic drops handy in case we need them and my boys are now 21 months old - keep in mind that they do take a few days to really begin to work) . Probiotic drops are "good bacteria" that can help provide digestive relief and get their systems going again.  Here's a link to the Probiotic drops I often used available here on Amazon.

6.  Choose the right milk

Choosing the right kind of milk is so important, especially for baby's brain development which is a crucial period of time at the one-year mark.  There are so many different options of milk out there on those shelves.  Look for whole cow's milk that is pasteurized, homogenized 3.25% milk with added Vitamin D and folic acid.  I used Organic Whole Milk from Farmland Fresh Dairies from very early on with my boys through a partnership I have felt so confident about, and just added B12 Vitamin Drops to their bottles during the transition time as I wanted to be sure the boys were getting enough while we were still working on a balanced diet of food that included more meats, eggs. etc. that contain folic acid.  (Until that point, I was sure the boys had all the vitamins they needed from their formula.) . We stopped using the vitamin drops after a couple weeks once the boys were adjusted to their milk and eating more meals - to me it was important that they are eating the right foods and not needing to offer them vitamin supplements long-term, but that's just my way (nothing wrong with continuing use of vitamins if you want to).  Currently, as we have become somewhat more picky eaters, I am trying to sneak in a daily multivitamin into the twin's yogurt or ice cream...

Keep in mind, that all this is my mom experience.  Stay patient and remember, mama always knows her baby best - so follow your "mom-intuition" and pay attention to your baby's cues as you make the switch.  And don't be afraid to talk to other moms, your mom, grandmothers and medical professionals about their advice.

xo,
Vicky

Comments

  1. Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; many of us have developed some nice procedures and we are looking to trade techniques with other folks, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.
    vitamin supplements for cattle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organic ghee is procured from 100% organic grass fed cow milk-butter. The optimum purity makes the organic grass fed ghee ghee the purest form of this dairy staple.
    100% pure Organic grass-fed ghee often gets certified by an authority certifier. For example, Milkio pure organic grass fed ghee is certified by BioGro, New Zealand, the largest and best-known certifier for organic produce and products.
    Although most people link butter with fat and presume the risk of declined heart health, the rich variety of saturated fats in organic ghee can offer a healthy boost to the heart.
    For more info visit: organic ghee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject.
    Accounting & Audit Firm in Dubai, UAE

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very important to have good thoughts in mind to write a beautiful post and your mind seems very clear only then you have written such a beautiful post, this post is worth praising, it will be less than the praise of this post.
    goji berry health benefits

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the useful post. Keep posting about this type of content. organic milk in chennai is the best and tasty original Cow milk from the farm. This cow milk is very healthy for children and everyone. They provide home delivery all over Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog post shares a personal experience of introducing cow's milk to twins. While the focus of the post is not directly related to Chennai, it highlights the importance of daily milk delivery for families with young children. Daily milk delivery in Chennai ensures that families have access to fresh milk regularly without the hassle of going to the store. This is especially important for families with young children who need a regular supply of milk. With the help of modern technology, daily milk delivery Chennai can ensure that milk is delivered to customers' doorsteps in a timely and efficient manner. Daily milk delivery is an essential service for many families in Chennai, and it's great to see personal experiences shared to help others in similar situations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Perpeq”: An Albanian Egg Custard

"Perpeq" is one of my fondest childhood memories because it brings me back to Easter time, as my mom and grandmother mostly made it in our house during that time of year.  Guess it was because we had all those eggs in the fridge!  Actually, it's a dish that my family traditionally blessed as their breakfast food for Easter Sunday.  I appreciate this dish so much because it is exclusively part of my Albanian culture, and it reminds me constantly of the simple ingredients and creativity Albanian women have used historically, living in large families and persevering through many adversities.  I am not sure what to call this in English, but the closest thing I’ve had to “perpeq” is egg custard, though it is different.  “Perpeq” makes a great dessert OR breakfast item.  Thankfully, I am partnering with Farmland Fresh Dairies to share this recipe with everyone, using the best quality milk. It’s taken me years to put this recipe together because my mother and grandmoth

My Top 3 Double Umbrella Strollers Review: Pros & Cons

Just before the twins were born, I sold our Uppababy Cruz I had for my first son, and was so thankful Grandma and Grandpa offered to buy me the stroller of my "twins plus one" mom dreams - our Uppababy Vista, with two seats and a piggyback board that could actually accommodate all 3 boys to ride on! Our Evenflo Minno Twin double stroller for Grandma's house To me, the stroller is the top item every mom should splurge on because it really should last a long time and it's used constantly!  I felt like we were outgrowing our precious Uppababy Vista stroller after the boys turned a year old and my oldest was not really using the board to ride on as much anymore and the twins began kicking the seats and throwing things at each other depending on who got the higher seat- and with the summer weather approaching, I decided it was time to really invest in a good double umbrella stroller and go from the in-line to a tandem side-by-side stroller (a huge decision for a mo

Easter Bread "Nests" Recipe

With the holy season of Lent here, Easter is just about one month away!  And thankfully, Spring is officially here, too!  Every holiday, I always think about what traditions I want my family to have, to remember, and to hold onto.  Baking with my kids is something I enjoy thoroughly, as it brings us together in preparing and eating.  I decided to start a new Easter tradition for our family this year, and so I tested out Easter Bread "nests" with my Kindergartner after school - the bread came out so delicious, and we had so much fun together, that I am sure this Easter tradition is something we will continue every year.  One of my most prevalent challenges with my 6-year old son now is getting him to persist through a task that he says is "too hard for me."  He wanted to give up when he struggled to roll his dough and was frustrated making his first "braid" with the bread, but, together (with lots of praise, patience and gentleness) we managed to finish wh