Skip to main content

Things to Do with Kids in NYC Before Winter's Over!


With the end of January nearing a close, I just thought it'd be fun to share with you all some ideas I have for my own family adventures before this Winter is over  (that you may want to consider for your own).  Let's face it - there is no place else in the world like New York City - it offers an abundance in culture, variety and accessibility no matter the season...so why not take advantage!  I just hope that between my twin toddlers and growing Kindergartner who often feels too cool for his baby brothers, that there's something in each item on this list that they can really enjoy and have fun with.  Oh, and if you're looking for more ideas, you can revisit the post I shared when this Winter first started where I offered 4 suggestions of indoor places to visit with kids in NYC - just click here.

But first, here's my round-up of 6 things to do with kids in NYC before this Winter is over:

1.  NY Boat Show at the Javits Center from January 23-27, 2019

I've been to this boat show a few times as a mom of 1, so I know it is easy to access with a stroller and lots of fun boats to look at and get onto and steer.  I'm pretty sure my husband has looked more forward to this event than our son every year, and we definitely plan to attend with all 3 boys.  This year the show offers a virtual reality experience where kids can feel like they are in a boat race, along with their touch-a-boat tour for kids where they get passports to board 10 boats and then craft their own wooden boat at the end.  Tickets are $16 a piece, but children 12 and under are FREE.  More details and info available here on their website.

2.  Central Park Winter Jam, Saturday, January 26, 2019

This is a free winter sports festival one-day event from 11am to 3pm, hosted by NYC Parks in Central Park.  I have never actually attended but know a few friends who go to this event every year, and they tell me that the earlier you get there the less lines there are to deal with - but kids can do things like sledding, ice bowling, learning to ski, etc., with equipment provided at the park (or you can bring your own gear).  The snow isn't real, but shh, don't tell the kids!  More details by clicking here.


3.  Just Kidding series of live shows at Symphony Space, January - March 2019

The Symphony Space is a performing arts center on the Upper West side of Manhattan, offering a variety of shows.  I've attended a few live shows there with my oldest son already, and we have always had a great experience.  The shows are always around one-hour long, and let's face it, that's plenty for my kid's attention span at a young age, not to mention the day time naps I never want to miss.  Tickets are reasonably priced and the shows are always so fun for young audiences - they even have booster seats for the kids to use on their chairs if needed.  The "Just Kidding" series of shows is part of the Family event at the Symphony Space this year, offering a variety of different shows that I think are perfect for young toddlers to kids in the early grades of elementary school.  We already got tickets as part of my son's 6th birthday gift in March, and I cannot wait.  Many of the "Just Kidding" shows are interactive, so the kids can move around and participate.  Check out the different shows and dates being offered at Symphony Space by clicking here.  And even if you can't attend one of their shows this time around, be sure to sign up for their mailing list so they can e-mail you about future events.

4.  Visit the Children's Museum of Manhattan (CMOM)

I feel kind of embarrassed that I still have not ever taken my kids to this museum, but I guess not so humiliated because we've gone to so many others.  However, all my mom friends rave about CMOM and how the kids can actually PLAY with and touch all the things that are there.  "Five floors of fun" is how one of my twin mom friends described it to me when she went for the first time, so this place is definitely one I really want to visit this Winter.  Every exhibit is one that involves movement and touch - they even have one called "Dora and Diego."  It also helps that it's indoors, so maybe something we can do on a cold or rainy day with our boys.  What I love is that their hours are 10am-5pm every day (except Monday), and on Saturdays they're open late until 7pm.  Same price for kids and adults - $14 a ticket, but children 1 and under are free.  Check out more details here on their website.  Also have to mention, our fav family restaurant is just a few blocks away from here (5 Napkins) for burgers and fries after the museum.

5.  Try the new Nutella Cafe

This new spot is located in the Union Square area and one I definitely cannot wait to go to with my kids - I <3 Nutella myself, but promise to tell everyone we went "for the boys."  Another mom blogger friend of mine suggested finding a seat at a table BEFORE ordering food when we do go to visit.  Their hours are 7am-10pm daily.  The Nutella Cafe doesn't have an official website (...yet?), but they are on Facebook, so you can find more details here.





6.  See a puppet show at the Swedish Cottage Marionette Theater

I've been to Central Park hundreds and hundreds of times throughout my lifetime, but I think nearly every time I go, I discover something new there that I didn't realize was there ever before.  And I cannot forget the year I found the Swedish Cottage Marionette Theater inside the park (on the west side by 79th street entrance).  For $8-$12 a ticket, you can see a puppet show with real marionette puppets in a cozy setting (the cottage offers beautiful Swedish architecture).  The shows I've seen there with my son are all family friendly and suitable for toddlers to kids probably about 10 years old.  Right now, they are showing "Yeti, Set, Snow" until February 24th - find out more and purchase tickets here.  And if you don't make it out there for Winter, definitely keep this place on your list of places to visit with your kids in the future because it's totally worthwhile, not to mention the beautiful walk through the park with all the greenery and trees.

Feel free to leave a comment below of a place you'd suggest to take the kiddos to this winter in the NYC area.

xo,
Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Perpeq”: An Albanian Egg Custard

"Perpeq" is one of my fondest childhood memories because it brings me back to Easter time, as my mom and grandmother mostly made it in our house during that time of year.  Guess it was because we had all those eggs in the fridge!  Actually, it's a dish that my family traditionally blessed as their breakfast food for Easter Sunday.  I appreciate this dish so much because it is exclusively part of my Albanian culture, and it reminds me constantly of the simple ingredients and creativity Albanian women have used historically, living in large families and persevering through many adversities.  I am not sure what to call this in English, but the closest thing I’ve had to “perpeq” is egg custard, though it is different.  “Perpeq” makes a great dessert OR breakfast item.  Thankfully, I am partnering with Farmland Fresh Dairies to share this recipe with everyone, using the best quality milk. It’s taken me years to put this recipe together because my mother and grandmoth

My Top 3 Double Umbrella Strollers Review: Pros & Cons

Just before the twins were born, I sold our Uppababy Cruz I had for my first son, and was so thankful Grandma and Grandpa offered to buy me the stroller of my "twins plus one" mom dreams - our Uppababy Vista, with two seats and a piggyback board that could actually accommodate all 3 boys to ride on! Our Evenflo Minno Twin double stroller for Grandma's house To me, the stroller is the top item every mom should splurge on because it really should last a long time and it's used constantly!  I felt like we were outgrowing our precious Uppababy Vista stroller after the boys turned a year old and my oldest was not really using the board to ride on as much anymore and the twins began kicking the seats and throwing things at each other depending on who got the higher seat- and with the summer weather approaching, I decided it was time to really invest in a good double umbrella stroller and go from the in-line to a tandem side-by-side stroller (a huge decision for a mo

Easter Bread "Nests" Recipe

With the holy season of Lent here, Easter is just about one month away!  And thankfully, Spring is officially here, too!  Every holiday, I always think about what traditions I want my family to have, to remember, and to hold onto.  Baking with my kids is something I enjoy thoroughly, as it brings us together in preparing and eating.  I decided to start a new Easter tradition for our family this year, and so I tested out Easter Bread "nests" with my Kindergartner after school - the bread came out so delicious, and we had so much fun together, that I am sure this Easter tradition is something we will continue every year.  One of my most prevalent challenges with my 6-year old son now is getting him to persist through a task that he says is "too hard for me."  He wanted to give up when he struggled to roll his dough and was frustrated making his first "braid" with the bread, but, together (with lots of praise, patience and gentleness) we managed to finish wh