Skip to main content

4 Indoor Places every NYC Mom Should Venture to this Winter!

The Winter Garden at Brookfield Place
I’m going to preface this post by saying that most of my friends ask me how I find the energy and time to get out so often with 3 kids. Early on, I didn’t even realize I was “out and about with the kids so much,” but I guess my friends were right because I’m guilty of jamming things into our weekend schedule and even toting newborn twins to Central Park 3-weeks postpartum. Maybe I’m really crazy, but I kind of love and look forward to our family outing’s. Don’t tell my kids, but one of my personal tactics to surviving a day in my life as a mom of 3 with "twins plus one" is to tire everyone out to the fullest extent by taking them outside, no matter what’s in the weather forecast! And as often as I complain about the tight living space in our Manhattan apartment as a family of 5, all the fun places and activities so accessible to us really compensate for all my gripes! I am always getting asked by my fellow mamas about activities I am doing with my boys and where they can find out more, etc. And with the start of winter and the holidays quickly approaching, I know from experience how difficult it can be to get out with all the kids and spend time outdoors without freezing!  After I've layered everyone up in all their winter gear and tucked them into their stroller footmuffs, I'm almost ready to turn back!

I’ve rounded up my top 4 indoor spots I have adored going to with my kids and that I plan on venturing off to again this Winter...and I’ve even added a bonus #5 spot that’s for the bravest of the city moms willing to take a hike up to Valhalla in Westchester for an outdoor Winter Wonderland adventure!

#1:  Bloomingdale's- Bloomingdale's on the Upper East Side is retail therapy heaven for this mama!  And because I love going there, even when I have no specific reason to be shopping, I have discovered there's actually so much to do at Bloomie's with the kiddos.  In the winter time, while everyone is making reservations and swarming towards Macy's in Herald Square, we just head over to Bloomingdale's "Santaland" on the 5th floor in the children's area to meet Santa and take our pictures.  There's barely ever a line there on weekdays, and the line is manageable on weekends too - you are free to take your own pictures with your camera or phone (which I've done shamelessly), so you're not pressured into buying the pic of your screaming child, but if you do buy a package they start at only $22 for prints.  "Sanataland" opens up again on Thanksgiving weekend.  And of course, the window galleries outside for the Winter are beautifully decorated, and my kids love to watch as we walk around the building.  Before we leave, we always make a stop at Magnolia Bakery on the first floor of Bloomingdale's, where my oldest nearly always gets a cupcake and mom the banana pudding that is heavenly!  Every now and then, on our way out of Bloomingdale's in the winter time, we'll even make a stop at Dylan's Candy Bar, which is across the street from the department store.  It's a boutique candy shop, owned by the daughter of Ralph Lauren, and is just amazing to go to (even as an adult) - there's 3 floors of every candy you can think of, and there's even candy in the steps as you move from one floor to the next.  There's no way we'll ever leave Dylan's unhappy - it's stroller friendly, with an easy elevator, and even a Cafe & Bar on the top floor where you can order ice cream and a cocktail!
Christmas 2017 Pic I Snapped with My Phone at Bloomingdale's
David as a Toddler admiring all the Santaland Decor at Bloomingdale's

#2:  Brookfield Place - this is one of the best places to spend a few hours with kids in and a quick train ride downtown to lower Manhattan.  On your way there you'll see the beautiful Freedom Tower and 9/11 Memorial as well.  The "Winter Garden" at Brookfield Place is the spot to check out in this shopping center - it's a gorgeous glass atrium filled with palm trees and fun shops where you can spend some time with the kids and grab a quick bite/snack and even check out the stores.  We got some cupcakes at Sprinkles bakery when we were there last winter and watched a few people out on the ice skating rink on our way back out to the train station.  Brookfield Place sponsors lots of free events and performances for the public in the Winter Garden - we saw The Nutcracker for the first time there last winter with David and admired all the beautiful holiday decorations at every corner.  There are 3 free performances of The Nutcracker taking place again this year on December 2nd and 3rd that we hope to attend - the show is only an hour long and incredible to watch, not to mention choreographed by New York Theatre Ballet's, Keith Michael.  The performances are FREE, and also first come, first served seating so plan to get there a little early.  Last year, we took a small blanket with us and just sat over it on the floor so we could be right in front of the stage - more info about The Nutrcracker performance available here.

David & I in December 2017 seeing The Nutcracker in Brookfield's Winter Garden


#3:  The grand opening of FAO Schwarz in its new location - we are so excited to hear that 3 years after the nation's oldest toy store closed its doors that they are reopening in Rockefeller Center this November!  You can check out their Instagram handle @faoschwarz for more updates and pics of the beautiful new space.  We've been to their previous Manhattan location with David, and it was simply amazing - the Nutcracker doormen greeting us, toys everywhere, and lots of interactive spaces where the kids can "play" there with some of the toys as you go through the store - like jumping on the huge floor piano mat, racing remote controlled cars, admiring the huge lego sculptures.  I've read that they are bringing a theater like aspect to the new store location with costumed employees, magicians, and dancers.  When my oldest was a toddler it was easy to go into FAO Schwarz and not spend any money because he had a blast just looking around, so I want to take advantage of that while my twins are still toddlers - AND we will give our oldest a budget for our experience there where he can buy something.  

David & Mom at FAO Schwarz
Dad & David Enjoying the Super-sized Stuffed Animals at FAO Schwarz


#4:  Visit a Museum - museums have always been my personal favorite places to go to, even before becoming a mother, because I felt like I could travel through time by experiencing a museum.  One of our absolute favorites here in NYC that is fun for kids and easy to access is the Cooper Hewitt Museum of Smithsonian Design, which offers free family programs where kids can design things - anyone under 18 is Free Admission, and adult tickets are $16 a piece.  There's a beautiful garden there free to the public and even "Pay As You Wish" Saturday Nights.  The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American Museum of Natural History are both our other 2 most frequently visited museums for our family because they are HUGE and easy to navigate through with our double stroller - in addition, they both offer "Pay As You Wish" admission at their ticket counters, where you can decide how much you'd like to pay for admission tickets.  

Bonus #5:  Westchester’s Winter Wonderland at Kensico Dam Plaza park (accessible via Metro North):  We went for the first time last year with my oldest son (sans twins) as a special treat just for him to get some one-on-one time.  This place was seriously a hit!  We drove and parking was easy since you can park in front of the entrance (not to mention there's no charge for it) . Early Bird tickets are being sold online right now for $18 a piece (kids 3 and under are not charged any admission fee) . Their dates run from November 23rd to December 31st.  I'm planning to go on Opening Day for their Christmas tree lighting, but there is SO much to do there for that mere $18 fee per person.  There's unlimited ice skating, a circus show under a warm tent, time to meet with Santa and take your OWN pics, 10 different rides (our fav was the winter hayride, and the dancing lights show. There's a tent where you can warm up or just sit down to eat - and they do sell hot chocolate, donuts, etc for some small fees.  This is definitely a fun experience I've been recommending to all my mom friends and looking forward to doing again this year.  

David & I enjoying one of the kid rides at Westchester's Winter Wonderland last year

Hope all you mama's have fun this winter!  Let me know what places you're heading off to this season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Perpeq”: An Albanian Egg Custard

"Perpeq" is one of my fondest childhood memories because it brings me back to Easter time, as my mom and grandmother mostly made it in our house during that time of year.  Guess it was because we had all those eggs in the fridge!  Actually, it's a dish that my family traditionally blessed as their breakfast food for Easter Sunday.  I appreciate this dish so much because it is exclusively part of my Albanian culture, and it reminds me constantly of the simple ingredients and creativity Albanian women have used historically, living in large families and persevering through many adversities.  I am not sure what to call this in English, but the closest thing I’ve had to “perpeq” is egg custard, though it is different.  “Perpeq” makes a great dessert OR breakfast item.  Thankfully, I am partnering with Farmland Fresh Dairies to share this recipe with everyone, using the best quality milk. It’s taken me years to put this recipe together because my mother and grandmoth

My Top 3 Double Umbrella Strollers Review: Pros & Cons

Just before the twins were born, I sold our Uppababy Cruz I had for my first son, and was so thankful Grandma and Grandpa offered to buy me the stroller of my "twins plus one" mom dreams - our Uppababy Vista, with two seats and a piggyback board that could actually accommodate all 3 boys to ride on! Our Evenflo Minno Twin double stroller for Grandma's house To me, the stroller is the top item every mom should splurge on because it really should last a long time and it's used constantly!  I felt like we were outgrowing our precious Uppababy Vista stroller after the boys turned a year old and my oldest was not really using the board to ride on as much anymore and the twins began kicking the seats and throwing things at each other depending on who got the higher seat- and with the summer weather approaching, I decided it was time to really invest in a good double umbrella stroller and go from the in-line to a tandem side-by-side stroller (a huge decision for a mo

Easter Bread "Nests" Recipe

With the holy season of Lent here, Easter is just about one month away!  And thankfully, Spring is officially here, too!  Every holiday, I always think about what traditions I want my family to have, to remember, and to hold onto.  Baking with my kids is something I enjoy thoroughly, as it brings us together in preparing and eating.  I decided to start a new Easter tradition for our family this year, and so I tested out Easter Bread "nests" with my Kindergartner after school - the bread came out so delicious, and we had so much fun together, that I am sure this Easter tradition is something we will continue every year.  One of my most prevalent challenges with my 6-year old son now is getting him to persist through a task that he says is "too hard for me."  He wanted to give up when he struggled to roll his dough and was frustrated making his first "braid" with the bread, but, together (with lots of praise, patience and gentleness) we managed to finish wh