Skip to main content

6 Beauty Time-Saving Tips for Busy Moms


Anyone who actually knows me, knows how much I love wearing foundation and curling my naturally straight hair! Using makeup has been like a hobby of mine - it's the only form of art I can say I feel confident using  (sadly, I never inherited my mom's drawing skills).  Since a very young age, I remember watching my own mother apply her makeup as she got ready to head out to work, with true awe.  Using makeup can just be fun and feel like a confidence booster, but when you're a mom of 3, there's not much time in the day for anything you-related.  Things like hair and makeup can easily take the back burner on my to-do list.  I spend most of my days at home with my boys, but I still choose to put on some makeup and and do my hair most days because that's just what I enjoy and makes me feel ready to go out and start my own day.  In the past year and a half, that's gotten harder to accomplish as my sons grow and demand so much of my attention - but I have a few beauty hacks to share with my fellow mamas to save some time while focusing on yourself:

1.  Use Eyelash Extensions
Eyelash extensions are not for every day, I know – but they are SO much fun and can really enhance and change your whole look when it comes to makeup.  Wearing lash extensions can save you SO much time when using makeup because the dramatic look makes it seem like you have eyeliner and mascara on already!  With the extra lashes, you spend no time, or less time, on using mascara, curling your lashes, and perfecting your eyeliner. It took me much trial and error, but I eventually mastered applying eyelashes on my own.  With more practice, you become a lot quicker at it, too!  Here’s the link to my most frequently used, favorite lashes by Ardell.










2.  Overnight Hair Braids
This beauty hack is one of my favs that I’ve been doing since my high school days in order to save some time to get ready in the mornings.  Also, I am slightly lazier on spending time on my hair.  Now as a mom, I appreciate this idea of braiding my hair for beautiful waves all the more!  Shower in the evening and braid your hair (preferably more than 1 braid) while it’s still a bit wet – by the morning, you’ll have the most beautiful wavy hair.  Simply unravel the braids and add some hair spray – the kids will never notice you walked away!

3.  Makeup Isn’t Just for Mornings
There’s a lot to do in the morning – between making breakfasts, tidying up rooms, changing out of everyone’s pajamas, getting ready for school and taking a few sips of your own coffee.  Putting some makeup on does not necessarily have to be done in the morning time though – take it easy and try putting on your fav products mid-day instead when there’s a little less to do or the kids are napping, or in school, etc. 

4.  Forget the Sponges & Brushes
Makeup takes time to do – something like contouring and highlighting your face is an art.  There are some occasions where I certainly make time to take my time to put on some makeup, however, when you need to save some time, consider ditching all the sponges and brushes to apply your makeup and just apply with your own hands!  Using your own fingers to apply foundation can give you such a natural look since you have to massage the product on.  And I can’t even tell you how many times I actually prefer the look of my eye shadow when I’ve used my fingers versus brushes to apply it! 

5.  Remove your Makeup at Night
It’s taken me years and many lectures from the beauty gurus in my life to understand just how important it is for my skin to be clean and remove the makeup from my face every evening before going to sleep.  But as a mother of 3 kids, removing my makeup daily is essential to saving some time for a mom who loves to use it.  Having a clean face to start applying cosmetics on is the first step to saving some time – it can take a long time and serious effort to clean your face after sleeping with your makeup on, totally not worth it!

6.  Organize your Makeup in Trays

I used to let my makeup sit in bags/cases and just pull them out whenever I decided to put some makeup on.  However, as I started to build up my collection, and get less and less time to actually spend on myself for makeup, I realized I was wasting a lot of my time and becoming very stressed looking for my cosmetics through the bags they were in.  That’s when I decided to organize and store my makeup products in trays, so I could easily see and grab exactly what I needed!  However you choose to organize your makeup, just consider making it all more easily accessibly for you when you need it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Perpeq”: An Albanian Egg Custard

"Perpeq" is one of my fondest childhood memories because it brings me back to Easter time, as my mom and grandmother mostly made it in our house during that time of year.  Guess it was because we had all those eggs in the fridge!  Actually, it's a dish that my family traditionally blessed as their breakfast food for Easter Sunday.  I appreciate this dish so much because it is exclusively part of my Albanian culture, and it reminds me constantly of the simple ingredients and creativity Albanian women have used historically, living in large families and persevering through many adversities.  I am not sure what to call this in English, but the closest thing I’ve had to “perpeq” is egg custard, though it is different.  “Perpeq” makes a great dessert OR breakfast item.  Thankfully, I am partnering with Farmland Fresh Dairies to share this recipe with everyone, using the best quality milk. It’s taken me years to put this recipe together because my mother and grandmoth

My Top 3 Double Umbrella Strollers Review: Pros & Cons

Just before the twins were born, I sold our Uppababy Cruz I had for my first son, and was so thankful Grandma and Grandpa offered to buy me the stroller of my "twins plus one" mom dreams - our Uppababy Vista, with two seats and a piggyback board that could actually accommodate all 3 boys to ride on! Our Evenflo Minno Twin double stroller for Grandma's house To me, the stroller is the top item every mom should splurge on because it really should last a long time and it's used constantly!  I felt like we were outgrowing our precious Uppababy Vista stroller after the boys turned a year old and my oldest was not really using the board to ride on as much anymore and the twins began kicking the seats and throwing things at each other depending on who got the higher seat- and with the summer weather approaching, I decided it was time to really invest in a good double umbrella stroller and go from the in-line to a tandem side-by-side stroller (a huge decision for a mo

Easter Bread "Nests" Recipe

With the holy season of Lent here, Easter is just about one month away!  And thankfully, Spring is officially here, too!  Every holiday, I always think about what traditions I want my family to have, to remember, and to hold onto.  Baking with my kids is something I enjoy thoroughly, as it brings us together in preparing and eating.  I decided to start a new Easter tradition for our family this year, and so I tested out Easter Bread "nests" with my Kindergartner after school - the bread came out so delicious, and we had so much fun together, that I am sure this Easter tradition is something we will continue every year.  One of my most prevalent challenges with my 6-year old son now is getting him to persist through a task that he says is "too hard for me."  He wanted to give up when he struggled to roll his dough and was frustrated making his first "braid" with the bread, but, together (with lots of praise, patience and gentleness) we managed to finish wh