Skip to main content

15 “Normal” Ways of Parenting for the 1st Generation, Albanian-American Mom

As the eldest daughter of two parents who immigrated to the United States, my mom as a child and my dad as a young adult, my upbringing was definitely heavily impacted and influenced by my Albanian culture.  I was born and raised in the Bronx, and was even lucky enough to grow up living with my grandparents who traveled back and forth from Montenegro to the U.S. for months at a time.  As a mom of 3 boys now, I realize how much my Albanian culture has impacted my ways of parenting.  Growing up, I definitely struggled to balance between my Albanian self and the American self.  Sometimes, my parents don't necessarily agree with my personal "mom style," and other times, I realize how foreign my ways of parenting are to my non-Albanian mom friends.  And just to keep things in my parenting style interesting, my husband was born and raised in Montenegro - it's been quite the journey for us to figure out with each other how to parent 3 little boys together.  But I know for sure that there's got to be a couple of 1st generation American mom's out there who will totally appreciate and understand this post!


Matthew, David & Adam all in their traditional Albanian clothing

Here's my list of the "normal" and completely "un-strange" ways of parenting that are all too common to a 1st generation, Albanian-American mom like myself:

1. You'll always protect your kids from "evil eye"
I totally worry about other people (and even myself) giving my kids the "evil eye" and want to prevent it with some of those old, superstitious remedies to protect my little ones.  "Evil eye" is a common cultural legend - I've put red "evil eye" bracelets on my kids when we went somewhere with large crowds, and even made a small dot shape behind their ear lobes with eyeliner to make sure any "evil eye" would bounce off of them.

2.  You will discipline your children in Albanian instead of English
I definitely want my sons to speak the Albanian language, and I'm fairly certain they know EXACTLY what I am saying to them when they've misbehaved - especially if it's in public because I am speaking to them in the calmest Albanian voice about what their consequences will be.  

3.  Raki "Moonshine" will be used for everything from first aid to cleaning
My oldest son asks me for "Raki" from the fridge for his mosquito bites in the summer because he knows that will stop the itchiness - when he was a toddler he asked for "the magic raki water" instead of a kiss for his for boo-boo's.  (Side note:  Raki is a common Albanian alcohol, similar to what we Americans know as "moonshine," but it is made by distilling grapes and a common drink in the Balkan region) I totally admit to using it when the boys have had fevers by soaking their socks in "raki" and then putting them on their feet - I drew the line when advised to use it for teething, though was tempted MANY times.  And in our home, the kids know that "raki" is not just for drinking - mommy uses it to clean the glass table, too!

4.  Family members come to visit for weeks or months
My boys don't mind giving up or sharing their bed or space with family members because that's just what we do!  It isn't strange to have family members staying for weeks at a time with us, and the kids will always know what Albanian hospitality means - in our home it's rude and taboo to ask your family members to stay in a hotel!

5.  Speaking perfect English and Albanian
My kids know that I not only expect them to communicate in the English language perfectly, but we hold them to the "fluent" standard for Albanian as well.  They respond to the Albanian pronunciation of their names, along with the American version, in equality.  And for some reason, they've all understood commands in Albanian first, versus English.  Having the boys speak Albanian is something I am definitely still working on as a mom, but these boys already know the deal as they hear mom and dad speaking Albanian all the time at home.  

6. Not forcing your kids to hug & kiss every person they meet
I won't push my kids and make them hug and kiss every person they meet just because I had to growing up.  I want them to be respectful and acknowledge new people with a simple greeting, and that's enough for me!  I can't blame my kids for not wanting to hug someone they've never met before in their lives.

7. Trusting the Pediatrician and Internet with parenting advice
Contrary to my upbringing, I call our pediatrician frequently to ask for parenting advice when I'm unsure of how to deal with something going on with one of my children, and I will look to the Web and social media to research things like parenting advice, products, etc.

8. Cooking petulla, grosh and lakna
One of my kids "first foods" was "grosh" (bean soup) with bread!  I guess it will just be normal when my kids admit they love eating cabbage ("lakna"), beans and fried dough ("petulla") - and I know they'll get their non-Albanian friends to try many of these yummy foods too!

9. Having a bazillion cousins
My kids will have a TON of cousins around them, and they'll know who their third cousin and second cousin twice removed is because that's just how it is in this big, fat Albanian family.  I actually even have a family tree image made for them that goes back 5 generations on their father's side of the family.  At the end of the day, a cousin is family, no matter how close or far.

10. Going to many, many parties
There will be a wedding, baptism, graduation, and shower party probably every other weekend that these boys will attend as they grow up.

11.  Sharing mommy's stories of life hardships
I hope to share with my boys, my life stories of hardship just the way my dad shared with me (countless times) about the mountains and valleys he walked barefoot through just to get to school every day.  I'm still figuring out my details of the one I plan to reuse with them all.

12.  Wearing Albanian traditional clothes
My kids first wore the Albanian traditional clothing that their male ancestors wore when they were just infants - and who knows how many more times they will wear these clothes in their lifetimes.

13.  Thinking my kids are always cold
Seriously, I can't help it - I always think my kids may be feeling cold and may get sick because they weren't dressed warm enough.  One piece pajamas will be worn until they outgrow the largest 5T size I can find them in. The boys will always have socks on inside if the AC is on (no matter how hot it is outside), and they almost always have hats on when we go outside.  Oh, and can't forget the undershirt they always wear - good for soaking up the sweat, and making sure they don't feel cold!

14.  Mommy uses social media
I really enjoy posting and sharing about my motherhood journey on social media - like Instagram and Facebook.  This is just something the boys will always know about mom, and I hope they'll look back at my posts as a digital scrapbook of what their childhood was like.

15.  Pride in both cultures
My boys will be lucky and proud to share both their Albanian and American traditions and culture with the world - just as I am!


Feel free to add to our list, especially if there's one you think we've missed, in the comments below!


I am linking up to the following Linky Parties:

Dare to Share Saturdays






Comments

  1. thanks for sharing this post many things that I did not know like the evil eye , I had heard of it but never really thought anything of it YOu have offered a different look on so many things
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place has the most perfect environment for whatever fun activity you are looking for. If you want a low key and more intimate atmosphere, come and hang out here. If you want the party scene, weekends at the NYC venues are where it's at!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Perpeq”: An Albanian Egg Custard

"Perpeq" is one of my fondest childhood memories because it brings me back to Easter time, as my mom and grandmother mostly made it in our house during that time of year.  Guess it was because we had all those eggs in the fridge!  Actually, it's a dish that my family traditionally blessed as their breakfast food for Easter Sunday.  I appreciate this dish so much because it is exclusively part of my Albanian culture, and it reminds me constantly of the simple ingredients and creativity Albanian women have used historically, living in large families and persevering through many adversities.  I am not sure what to call this in English, but the closest thing I’ve had to “perpeq” is egg custard, though it is different.  “Perpeq” makes a great dessert OR breakfast item.  Thankfully, I am partnering with Farmland Fresh Dairies to share this recipe with everyone, using the best quality milk. It’s taken me years to put this recipe together because my mother and grandmoth

My Top 3 Double Umbrella Strollers Review: Pros & Cons

Just before the twins were born, I sold our Uppababy Cruz I had for my first son, and was so thankful Grandma and Grandpa offered to buy me the stroller of my "twins plus one" mom dreams - our Uppababy Vista, with two seats and a piggyback board that could actually accommodate all 3 boys to ride on! Our Evenflo Minno Twin double stroller for Grandma's house To me, the stroller is the top item every mom should splurge on because it really should last a long time and it's used constantly!  I felt like we were outgrowing our precious Uppababy Vista stroller after the boys turned a year old and my oldest was not really using the board to ride on as much anymore and the twins began kicking the seats and throwing things at each other depending on who got the higher seat- and with the summer weather approaching, I decided it was time to really invest in a good double umbrella stroller and go from the in-line to a tandem side-by-side stroller (a huge decision for a mo

Easter Bread "Nests" Recipe

With the holy season of Lent here, Easter is just about one month away!  And thankfully, Spring is officially here, too!  Every holiday, I always think about what traditions I want my family to have, to remember, and to hold onto.  Baking with my kids is something I enjoy thoroughly, as it brings us together in preparing and eating.  I decided to start a new Easter tradition for our family this year, and so I tested out Easter Bread "nests" with my Kindergartner after school - the bread came out so delicious, and we had so much fun together, that I am sure this Easter tradition is something we will continue every year.  One of my most prevalent challenges with my 6-year old son now is getting him to persist through a task that he says is "too hard for me."  He wanted to give up when he struggled to roll his dough and was frustrated making his first "braid" with the bread, but, together (with lots of praise, patience and gentleness) we managed to finish wh