Skip to main content

7 Secrets to Managing "Twins Plus One" at the Park Myself

Dear 3 Boys,

I bet you will never remember that mom and dad took you to the park pretty much every day of your lives (some days even more than once) throughout all 4 seasons of the year.  Our hope is that you get the time outdoors that you deserve to really explore, make new friends, and even earn a few scrapes and scars to remember your childhood by.  Getting outside was a lot simpler when you weren't all walking and running, but here we are doing it each day and watching you smile.

Love,
Mommy



_____________________________________________________________________________

Staying at home with my 3 boys has not been easy by any means - we have our daily challenges, many of which we've just figured out and made work by trial and error.  As a mother, I am super lucky to have such an involved husband when it comes to our sons and even my own family who is always ready to come over and lend a helping hand.  But, ultimately, I am solo most days with the boys as everyone goes about their daily lives working, etc.  And any mother knows that a key feature of getting through an entire day with your child involves getting out the door - multiply that by 3, and I tell you it should be mandatory that you get out of your home 3 times a day to get through it and add some fun and adventure to everyone's day, including your own.  Living in NYC, we have been so lucky to have beautiful, clean parks only a few blocks away from us - I look at them like the "backyard" to our urban life.

Spending time outdoors was an important part of my own childhood, and going from working mom to a nearly full-time stay at home mom, I can attest that getting outdoors matters all the more to me now than it ever did before.  I'll lose my sanity if I am trapped in our apartment for an entire day.  I chose to share a few "secrets" of my own in this blog post to explain how I survive our park extravaganzas as the solo adult with twins plus one - it has been the ultimate test of my patience each day and quite the learning experience for me as I learn to manage my feelings of embarrassment around other mom's or nanny's, my disappointment in myself for feeling unprepared, and some times just feeling like I'll never gain control of things.

I'm sure some of these "secrets" can help a mom of even one child at the park, because I still remember just how overwhelming it can feel to be outside alone with your kid in a place with so many opportunities for them to get hurt, lost, or worse.  Here are my seven "secrets" to surviving the park with my dear 3 boys:

1.  Dress your kids in bright colored clothes or shoes (or get them some squeaky shoes!)
When we are getting ready to head to the park, I   tend to make sure my kids are wearing a bright color that will stand out in a crowded place (always be on the lookout for this when shopping for them).  I used to buy David red colored sneakers from the ages of 2-4 because all I had to do was look down for red feet among all the kids running around on the jungle gym.  Brightly colored jackets or shirts are also really helpful - colors you might not typically see on the average kid or that will stand out, like yellow and orange shades.  The best discovery I made for our twins was their iKiki shoes that actually squeak while they walk - I can always count on hearing when one of them starts to walk away from me and hear the direction they are going on (and when we don't need the squeak sound, it can totally be turned off).  You can find a pair on the iKiki website here - 10% off second pair.

                                               2.  Be prepared! -  with snacks, books, toys, water and extra clothes.
I leave a bag ready in our stroller basket with the things I know we will need for the park (or even just a walk).  Typically, I always include baby wipes, extra diapers, an extra shirt & socks for each child, small books, little toys or balls (ones that they don't get to play with at home to make them more interested), and bottled water.  Our snacks (and sometimes milk) is the only thing I really need to reach for and grab before heading out - I always try to grab some dry snacks like rice cakes, pretzels, crackers, etc.  The point here is to anticipate what you'll need at the park for your child and plan ahead to have it with you.









3.  Use the "stroller switch" move
It took me quite a while to realize this stroller "trick."  But I've realized the stroller is really one of my bestie's - when my twin toddlers start running in absolute opposite directions and have exhausted their mom, I do the stroller switch move - put one baby in their stroller and give him a snack, drink, or small toy to play with while the other 2 boys continue to play.  We just kind of follow along with the stroller, and then after a few minutes I switch the babies and put the other into the stroller while the baby who was sitting in the stroller before gets a turn to run around until it's time to leave.  Often times before it's time to go, I even just put both twins in their stroller and we spend a few minutes watching the coolest, older brother do something fun and entertaining, like climbing.  Mamas, the stroller is your friend - use it wisely!

4.  Go to familiar places
This one is a fairly simple "secret," but something I could only learn from experience, a tough one at that.  When you're the only adult with your kids and going to the park, it's really best and easiest for you to take them to the parks they are most familiar with already.  This way you can anticipate their favorite spots you know they like to play in, where the highest traffic areas are, etc.  Save the new park spots for another time - when you're not the only adult there.










                                                              5.  Set the same, routine rules for the older kids
My twins are still too young to really understand rules - I consider it a win when they look up at me as I shout "NO!" at the park to them.  However, my oldest really started to follow some basic rules at the park around age 3.  We always have 1 or 2 routine rules that stay consistent and that we remind him of when we get to the park - anything beyond 2 he won't remember.  My go-to rule is always the simple, "stay on the black mat," when we're on the playground, so that he knows he shouldn't leave the black mat area we are all in.  










            6.  Bring another adult when you can & assign kids
On the days where I am lucky and this is even imaginable or possible, I ask another adult to come with us to the park or to strategize and be here at a certain time of day to lend a helping hand in getting outside.  I usually will ask the other adult to watch a specific twin toddler, while I keep my eyes on the other and big bro.  Assigning kids to each adult just keeps things streamlined - no switching assignments is allowed - you get the one that you get.












7.  Accept when it just isn't working out
I'm not sure why it took me so long to realize this, but it is really ok to just decide to leave when you're exhausted or the kids are just not into it or in the right, sort of cooperative kind of mood.  I used to pressure myself to stay a bit longer for the boys' sake (mom guilt), until I realized I just couldn't handle it and neither could the kids - everyone can simply enjoy the walk back home instead!  And that's totally fine.  It doesn't mean I've been defeated as a mom, especially when it is me who is deciding it's time to pack up and go - it just means I took control and made the best choice for us all.








Either way, the park should always be about having fun and making memories.  Some days are smoother than others, but we all try our best.  Here are a few more of my fav pics from this past year of the Dedaj's at their best in the park:

















I am linking up to the following Link Up Parties: 
                  
                                                                    Creative K Kids









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Perpeq”: An Albanian Egg Custard

"Perpeq" is one of my fondest childhood memories because it brings me back to Easter time, as my mom and grandmother mostly made it in our house during that time of year.  Guess it was because we had all those eggs in the fridge!  Actually, it's a dish that my family traditionally blessed as their breakfast food for Easter Sunday.  I appreciate this dish so much because it is exclusively part of my Albanian culture, and it reminds me constantly of the simple ingredients and creativity Albanian women have used historically, living in large families and persevering through many adversities.  I am not sure what to call this in English, but the closest thing I’ve had to “perpeq” is egg custard, though it is different.  “Perpeq” makes a great dessert OR breakfast item.  Thankfully, I am partnering with Farmland Fresh Dairies to share this recipe with everyone, using the best quality milk. It’s taken me years to put this recipe together because my mother and grandmoth

My Top 3 Double Umbrella Strollers Review: Pros & Cons

Just before the twins were born, I sold our Uppababy Cruz I had for my first son, and was so thankful Grandma and Grandpa offered to buy me the stroller of my "twins plus one" mom dreams - our Uppababy Vista, with two seats and a piggyback board that could actually accommodate all 3 boys to ride on! Our Evenflo Minno Twin double stroller for Grandma's house To me, the stroller is the top item every mom should splurge on because it really should last a long time and it's used constantly!  I felt like we were outgrowing our precious Uppababy Vista stroller after the boys turned a year old and my oldest was not really using the board to ride on as much anymore and the twins began kicking the seats and throwing things at each other depending on who got the higher seat- and with the summer weather approaching, I decided it was time to really invest in a good double umbrella stroller and go from the in-line to a tandem side-by-side stroller (a huge decision for a mo

Easter Bread "Nests" Recipe

With the holy season of Lent here, Easter is just about one month away!  And thankfully, Spring is officially here, too!  Every holiday, I always think about what traditions I want my family to have, to remember, and to hold onto.  Baking with my kids is something I enjoy thoroughly, as it brings us together in preparing and eating.  I decided to start a new Easter tradition for our family this year, and so I tested out Easter Bread "nests" with my Kindergartner after school - the bread came out so delicious, and we had so much fun together, that I am sure this Easter tradition is something we will continue every year.  One of my most prevalent challenges with my 6-year old son now is getting him to persist through a task that he says is "too hard for me."  He wanted to give up when he struggled to roll his dough and was frustrated making his first "braid" with the bread, but, together (with lots of praise, patience and gentleness) we managed to finish wh